My first Top 5 list represents a desire to look forward to, enjoy, and most of all benefit more from CPD/INSET throughout my teaching career. In no particular order therefore, here goes:
- Guest Speakers: They may be expensive, they may actually come at no cost, but the return on investment either way could be immeasurable. Use the speaker as a point of reference for students, someone to offer perspective from the outside world, someone unbiased, inspirational and motivational.
- Collaboration: Share best practice with those not in your department, with those not in your own school. Speak to the ‘school next door’, work with them, help each other.
- Technology: Please, no post-its, no A3 paper, no marker pens. It’s not the 1980s is it? iPads, Twitter, social media, anything but post-its.
- Choice: A bespoke service, workshop/session choice for teachers surely improves buy-in from staff.
- Team Work: Outdoor leadership tasks are often run for students, but why not for staff? Surely staff would benefit from (slightly physical!) leader/leaderless tasks under time pressure?! I am sure this would translate directly inside the school walls, with increased willingness to work together, to help each other, and create a closer team atmosphere.
I have no doubt that there are many other features that could embellish my Top 5, indeed turning it into a Top 25 at the drop of a hat. So this is my hors d’oeuvre…